Whilst an interview can seem nerve-wracking especially if you don’t know to prepare for one, it allows both an employer and the applicant to gain a better understanding of what the job entails and whether you will be a good fit for the company. With the right preparation and techniques, you can maximise your chances of being successful in the interview. Here’s our guide to ensuring you’re completely prepared for any Insurance industry interview you may have.
Although there is no way of completely knowing all the questions your employer will ask you, preparing and practising common questions that they may ask is key to being able to articulate yourself clearly and confidently. Before you do your interview, you should take time to consider your past experiences within the Insurance sector, skills that are relevant to the job role and your strengths and weaknesses.
When preparing for an interview it is advised that you go with common questions they may ask. Below will show some common general insurance questions that you may be asked by your employer:
1. Why do you want to work in the Insurance Industry?
2. Why do you want to work for our insurance company?
3. What does good customer service look like to you?
4. What are your strengths?
5. What are your weaknesses?
Questions about background and experience:
This is a frequently asked question by employers as they want to know what you have gained from your last role and if you have the relevant qualifications:
1. What communication techniques do you use to help a customer understand company policies?
2. What techniques do you use to gain leads?
3. Do you have experience working with claims?
4. What would you say is the biggest challenge the insurance industry is dealing with currently?
5. What techniques do you use to negotiate?
Specific Insurance questions:
Your employer may ask more in-depth Insurance related questions. This may consist of:
1. What is your ideal style of communication with clients?
2. What would you do if you suspect a client was lying about their claim?
3. What do you mean by insurance coverage?
4. What is the difference between participating and non-participating policies?
5. How would you help a client understand our process?
Tips for an interview for an insurance position:
Research the company: Prior to your interview you should ensure that you have learnt about who their direct competitors are, what type of insurance they offer and what their value and mission are. This gives you an opportunity to learn about the company and become more confident during the interview.
Establish what your goals are: Establishing what your goals are and how they align with the company is highly important. This is an opportunity to show that you are goal driven individual and want to ensure you help them reach their company goals.
Ask follow-up questions: Once the employer has finished the interview, you’ll have a chance to ask any follow-up questions you may have. Be sure to ask two-three questions so that it shows your employer that you are engaged.
If you’re interested in taking the next steps in your career in the Insurance sector, apply with us today and we can find the perfect placement for you. Feel free to call us on 0203 225 5584 to discuss everything in further detail.